Enjoy this blog because what you read is of legendary status.

Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Argument 18 - Boston's Greatest Hockey Myth

Book Answer: Johnny Most's Call "It Hit The F-ing Post!"

I don't know too much about the Most call, but this seems pretty clear to me. On May 10, 1979, the Bruins were called for too many men on the ice and then they were penalized, which led to a Montreal goal and the Bruins lost that Game Seven. After the game, Coach Don Cherry said "It's my fault, the guy could not have heard me yell. I grabbed two other guys trying to go over the boards. That would have made eight on the ice. Might as well have let them go." This is a blatant lie. Not only is the rule of too many men on the ice regarding six men, so if he "grabbed" two guys and that would have made "eight," then it should have been six when he grabbed those guys and all would be fine. This means he's lying about grabbing those guys. If he had truly stopped them, six on the ice and it's fine. One of 'em got away, I guess. Or he's lying, as it seems clear.

1 comment: