Enjoy this blog because what you read is of legendary status.

Saturday, October 22, 2011

Evaluation of Fall's New Shows

The time has once again come for my evaluation of the new shows added to the Fall TV schedule. Obviously I love Psych, Community, The Office, How I Met Your Mother, etc. But how are the newbies faring? This is what I'm hear to evaluate. Without further ado, Monday:

Monday

2 Broke Girls - CBS. It's a good show. Seems to be loosely based on Laverne and Shirley. The actresses need to find their groove a little bit. It's a good bridge to 'Mother' and 'Men.' The supporting characters are hilarious. B-

Terra Nova - FOX. My dad says it's not very exciting. He said it's about people going back into time for dinosaurs and they focus on personal lives. Doesn't seem great to me, but a good concept. Maybe 2 seasons out of it. C-

The Playboy Club - NBC. This came in looking like the prominent new show for NBC, but the ratings were trash. A trip back to the 30's was shut down by NBC, 2 weeks into the fall year. Obviously it's not gonna get a good grade. F


Tuesday

Last Man Standing - ABC. Good to see Tim Allen back on ABC. He's good in the role and it's a good ratio of parents to children and Allen is just fantastic. Probably one of the few good shows in this poor year. A-

Man Up - ABC. They tried to hard. Seemed like they wanted the characters to fit the mold of every other television character ever. Poor concept for a first episode also. And the kids are just downright ugly. D+

Unforgettable - CBS. Seems like another one of those average cop dramas, but of course they add a twist. She remembers everything she sees. Too much focus on the main character and I don't see this getting renewed. C

Ringer - CW. Much too confusing with Gellar playing two roles. I couldn't even follow the storyline. If this was on any other network it would've been cancelled, but good CW shows are few and far between, so it got a full season pickup. C-

New Girl - FOX. Fox actually surprises me. They have TWO good comedies. I thought I'd never see the day. New Girl has good humor, but there's not to much attention put on the Deuschnael girl. Very good show, probably my favorite of the year. A+


Wednesday

Suburgatory -ABC. It seems to quaint. Too Whoville for my liking. It can be funny at times, but I don't think it's good fit between the Middle and Modern Family. It'll probably go the whole year, but end like Better With You. C+

Revenge - ABC. I've heard very good things about it calling it the new LOST. They seem to be making big progress, but to me it doesn't seem like LOST. Something about it says that it's gonna falter midseason and not pull through to 2013. Not terrible, though. B-

H8R - CW. This was a joke right Mario Lopez? Right? It's not is it? This was just a bad idea from the get-go and it's already been cancelled. You really have to put effort into being bad to be cancelled by the CW, three weeks in. F

The X-Factor - FOX. Personally, I'm sick of all the new reality competition shows. Simon Cowell's ego actually got bigger in this one. Abdul has already cried. It seems like people watch it just to watch it. D

I Hate My Teenage Daughter - FOX. Absolutely zero advertising for this. I didn't even know existed. I'm not sure FOX does either. Can I give it a fair grade then? Yes, everything's fair game whether I've seen it or not. Like Spader said, winners prove me right, losers prove me wrong. D-

Up All Night - NBC. Will Arnett's actually done something right. I don't think that Maya Rudolph is absolutely necessary to this show's success, but whatever works. I think they're trying to go with a Raising Hope motif. Not bad. B-

Free Agents - NBC. Hey, Hank Azaria. Stick to the Simpsons so we don't have to look at you. I guess everyone stopped watching NBC after Up All Night because Free Agents was flushed out by the peacock very early. Any show that gets cancelled before I evaluate them gets an F. F


Thursday

Charlie's Angels - ABC. Hey not everything can be Hawaii Five-O. That applies to Charlie's Angels. The remake faltered despite all they hype around Minka Kelly. Let's see if the new Dallas can go a different route. F

How To Be A Gentleman - CBS. Pfffffffffffffffffffffffft. That whole show was a joke. F-

Person of Interest - CBS. Michael Emerson is wonderful in probably the best new drama. He's definitely distancing himself from LOST. All though I smile when they say the words island, lost, or Ben. A

Whitney - NBC. I'm sorry, but no. I tried to like it, but I couldn't. It made me miss The Office that much more. It's just not that electrifying or memorable. No such luck for this wannabe comedy. That exploits Dunder Mifflin in advertising campaigns. D-

Prime Suspect - NBC. I am extremely nervous for NBC. Once all these good shows that they have going for 'em exit what will they be left with? Prime Suspect doesn't seem to be sticking around. There may actually be a year when everything on NBC is a new show. D-


Friday

A Gifted Man - CBS. It hasn't been aired yet so that's kind of unfair to judge it, but it definitely seems interesting. I said everything was fair game so it'll still get a grade. Looks like CBS has a solid Friday block. C+

Grimm - NBC. Grimm seems to be the stronger of the two fairy-tale drams this year. I think it will probably be better than Once Upon A Time. Grimm seems to focus on the new takes on the classic fairy tales. Fair game. B


Sunday

Once Upon A Time - ABC. I can see this falling into another one of those cliche cop dramas and straying from the original path of fairy tales. It's a shame to automatically know how shows will fall. D+

Pan Am - ABC. It was worse than I thought it would be, but not bad. I like the 50's and 60's shows that really replicate what it was like. Enjoyable to watch, but I've only seen the first episode and I'd be intrigued to see more. B+

Allen Gregory - FOX. Fox is really trying to capitalize on these animated comedies. I think they should bring Bob's Burgers back early and have that go with Simpsons, Family Guy, and American Dad. Just give up on the Cleveland show. Bring the Browns back to Quahog. D


Well that's all. Check back next year for even more evaluations!


1 comment:

  1. Good reviews. Bit harsh on some, but we all have our own opinions! LOL

    And hey, watch PanAm ONDemand or on ABC.com :)

    ReplyDelete