Enjoy this blog because what you read is of legendary status.

Monday, June 13, 2011

Top Movie Quotes Since 1938 (One Per Year With An Occasional Tie)

Ones that were good, but they were in no-man's land and had gaps between other movies of the 30's:

"It's alive! It's alive!"

"It was beauty who killed the beast."


It was just the earliest year with a good quote. Okay here we go. Not positive about the years. I think I'm good though. Not donezo.

1938- "Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn." -Rhett Butler- Gone with the Wind

1939- "Toto, I got a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore." -Dorothy Gale- The Wizard of Oz

1940- "The last number in our Fantasia program is a combination of two pieces of music so utterly different in construction and mood that they set each other off perfectly... Musically and dramatically, we have here a picture of the struggle between the profane and the sacred." -Narrator- Fantasia

1941- "Rosebud." -Charles Kane- Citizen Kane

1942- "Here's lookin' at you, kid." -Rick Blaine- Casablanca

1943- "Certainly. After all, who'd pay attention to a baritone and a detective?" -Anatole Garron-Phantom of the Opera

1944- "Are you always drawn to the loveless and unfriended?" "When it's deserved." -Edward Rochester and Jane Eyre- Jane Eyre

1945- "Who's on first?" -Dexter-The Naughty Nineties

1946- "Alright, out you two pixies go, through the door or out the window." -Nick- It's A Wonderful Life

1947- "I believe...I believe...It's silly, but I believe." Susan- Miracle on 34th Street

1948- "Badges? We ain't go no badges! We don't need no badges! I don't have to show you any stinking badges!" -Gold Hat - The Treasure of the Sierra Madre

1949- "Made it, Ma! Top of the world!" -Arthur -White Heat

1950- "Alright Mr. Demille, I'm ready for my close-up." -Norma Desmond -Sunset Boulevard

1951- "I have always depended on the kindness of strangers." -Blanche DuBois -A Street Car Named Desire

1952- "What's wrong with the way I talk? What's the big idea? Am I dumb or something?" -Lina -Singin' in the Rain

1953- "Shane. Shane. Come back!" -Joey Starrett -Shane

1954- "You don't understand! I coulda had class. I coulda been a contender! I coulda been somebody, instead of a bum, which is what I am." -Terry Malloy -On the Waterfront

1955- "As my grandpappy, Ol' Reliable, used to say...I don't recollect if I ever mentioned Ol' Reliable before?" -Trusty -Lady and the Tramp

1956- "Follow that ostrich!" -Mr. Fix -Around the World in 80 Days

1957- "I can think of a lot of things to call Saito, but 'reasonable'...that's a new one." -Commander Shears -The Bridge on the River Kwai

1958- "Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starvin' to death!" -Mame Dennis -Auntie Mame

1959- "Well, nobody's perfect." -Osgood Fielding -Some Like it Hot

1960- "A boy's best friend is his mother." -Norman Bates -Psycho

1961- "We're alike, me and a cat. A couple of poor nameless slobs." -Holly Golightly -Breakfast at Tiffany's

1962- "Bond. James Bond." -James Bond -Dr. No

1963- "That was a murder." -Ralph -Lord of the Flies

1964- "A martini. Shaken, not stirred." -James Bond -Goldfinger

1965- "The least they could have done is let us say hello." -Marta -The Sound of Music

1966- "I must stop Christmas from coming...but how?" -Grinch -How the Grinch Stole Christmas

1967- "Mrs. Robinson, you're trying to seduce me...aren't you?" -Benjamin Braddock -The Graduate

1968- "Open the pod bay doors, HAL." -Dave Bowman -2001: A Space Odyssey

1969- "I'm walking here! I'm walking here!" -Rizzo -Midnight Cowboy

1970- "Love means never having to say you're sorry." -Jennifer Barrett -Love Story

1971- "You've got to ask yourself one question. 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, punk?!" -Harry -Dirty Harry

1972- "I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse." -Don Vito Corleone -The Godfather

1973- "Soylent Green is people!" -Robert Thorn -Soylent Green

1974- "Keep your friends close and your enemies, closer." -Michael Corleone -The Godfather Part II

1975- "You're going to need a bigger boat." -Martin Brody -Jaws

1976- "You talkin' to me?" -Travis Bickle -Taxi Driver

1977- "May the force be with you." -Han Solo -Star Wars: Episode IV: A New Hope

1978- "It was the Boogeyman." "As a matter of fact, it was." -Laurie and Sam -Halloween

1979- "I love the smell of napalm in the morning!" -Bill Kilgore -Apocalypse Now

1980- "I am serious. And don't call me Shirley." -Dr. Rumack -Airplane!

1981- "No wire hangers, ever!" -Joan Crawford -Mommie Dearest

1982- "E.T. Phone home." -E.T. -E.T: The Extra Terrestrial

(Tie) 1983- "Say 'hello' to my little friend!" -Tony Montana -Scarface
"Go ahead, make my day." -Harry Callahan -Sudden Impact

1984- "I'll be back." -The Terminator -The Terminator

1985- "Hey McFly, I thought I told you never to come in here." -Biff -Back to the Future

1986- "Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while you might miss it." -Ferris Bueller -Ferris Bueller's Day Off

1987- "My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die." -Inigo Montoya -The Princess Bride

1988- "Beetlejuice. Beetlejuice. Beetlejuice." -Multiple People -Beetle Juice

1989- "Carpe Diem. Seize the day, boys. Make your lives extraordinary." -John Keating -Dead Poets Society

1990- "We're off looking for the man with the hands." -Office Allen -Edward Scissorhands

1991- "Hasta la vista. Baby." -The Terminator -Terminator 2: Judgement Day

(Tie) 1992- "There's no crying in baseball!" -Jimmy Dugan -A League of Their Own
"You can't handle the truth!" -Nathan Jessep -A Few Good Men

1993- "Welcome, to Jurassic Park." -John Hammond -Jurassic Park

1994- "Mama always said, life was like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get." -Forrest Gump -Forrest Gump

1995- "Houston, we have a problem." -Jim Lovell -Apollo 13

1996- "Show me the money!" -Rodd Tidwell -Jerry Maguire

1997- "I'm king of the world!" -Jack Dawson -Titanic

1998- "It's like finding a needle in a stack of needles." -Captain Miller -Saving Private Ryan

1999- "I see dead people." -Cole -The Sixth Sense

2000- "Now, where was I?" -Leonard -Memento

2001- "We can stay up late, swappin' manly stories and in the mornin', I'm makin' waffles!" -Donkey -Shrek

2002- "My precious." -Gollum -The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers

2003- "We elves try to stick to the four main food groups: candy, candy canes, candy corns, and syrup!" -Buddy -Elf

2004- "Go get 'em, tiger." -Mary Jane Watson -Spider-Man 2

2005- "There are few places hard to get in this world. But there aren't any where it's harder to live." -Narrator -March of the Penguins

2006- "Damn you, Jack Sparrow...." -Davey Jones -Pirates of the Caribbean 2: Dead Man's Chest

2007- "Would you hold still please, sir?" -Anton -No Country For Old Men

2008- "And...here...we...go!" -The Joker -The Dark Knight

2009- "Sky people can not learn. They do not see." -Neytiri -Avatar

2010- "Now Woody, he's been my pal for as long as I can remember. He's brave, like a cowboy should be. And kind, and smart. But the thing that makes Woody special, is he'll never give up on you... ever. He'll be there for you, no matter what." -Andy -Toy Story 3

2011- "Why do you live?" "Because I have something worth living for." -Voldemort and Harry Potter -Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2

Whatcha think? Do you agree? Maybe in 73 years my kids will make a list from 2012 to 2085. Who knows?

1 comment:

  1. Now that is quite a list! And you mentioned Halloween!!! Woohoo!!!

    ReplyDelete