Enjoy this blog because what you read is of legendary status.

Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Jump the Shark

I was just recently enlightened as to what the phrase 'jump the shark' means by my parental leaders. There's even a website for the Jump the Shark. It's actually pretty neat. Apparently, in an episode of Happy Days, Fonzie was water-skiing and he jumped over a shark. Now, the Fonz was cool and all, but this was a bit much for him. It wasn't really all the believable even for the Fonz, even for television. Happy Days still was a good show and had its moments and stayed as a power, but it was never the same. Now, the phrase is applied to other television shows, comparing them to Happy Days, wondering when they "jumped the shark." I'll relate this to me. For example, I love The Office and I'd say it was always amazing and never got bad. However, if I was at gunpoint and had to pick a moment, I'd say when Meredith lit her hair on fire at the Moroccan Christmas. The Office was great after that, still, with episodes like Niagara, The Delivery, Goodbye, Michael, Andy's Play, The List, Garden Party, Livin' the Dream, A.A.R.M. and so many more episodes, but it was a slightly different show, I'd say. Anyways, it's pretty cool!

1 comment:

  1. Yeah, lots of people have their own versions of when they think shows jumped the shark. Interesting to see what people differ on sometimes.

    ReplyDelete