Enjoy this blog because what you read is of legendary status.

Friday, May 24, 2013

Ranking Every Show I Watched This Year

As you probably already know, I'm an avid television enthusiast. Naturally, I watched many shows this season and I thought it'd be best to rank the ones I did watch, just to showcase an opinion, with thoughtful supporting evidence. Keep in mind, it's mostly comedies with one or two dramas. If I were to rank EVERY show, then it would be chaos in which I'd have no idea what I'd be talking about. For example, I know nothing about The Mentalist. I might be biased, but hey, The Office was amazing this year. Also, I'm not including Betty White's Off Their Rockers because that's when you stray. Also, yes, my top ten from earlier has varied. Let's begin.

31. How To Live With Your Parents (For the Rest of Your Life)

How in the world did Roseanne and Scrubs survive with Sarah Chalke? Honestly, they were good shows, but lately Sarah Chalke has just been sucking the funny and everything that's good out of shows lately. She's also poison for shows, a la Mad Love. This show was brutally painful to watch and I even once dubbed it the 'Worst Thing Ever.' Brad Garrett gave maybe one funny joke and that girl from Ferris Bueller or Big or whatever movie it was, she was just phoning it in. I thought it was a complete joke when ABC said it was the number one new comedy of the year. That was total B.S. and they knew it because it was cancelled immediately and rightfully so.

30. Two and a Half Men

This was just tough to watch week in and week out. They're cycling out the same story lines and we all know what's going on behind the scenes with Angus T. Jones. Ashton Kutcher has just become a richer, more attractive version of Alan because they are both awful people who seemingly cannot be loved, but find it anyway, but then they lose it next week. One of the lone bright spots of the season was the return of Herb.



29. The Simpsons

I remember when this was one of my favorite shows on the air. I think it's good that it's ending soon. It's time for it go. It's been time for it to go. A word of praise that the show is deserving of is that it is once again carried by Homer, as it should have and once has been. In recent years, it has been carried by a new character each season. One year it's Moe-centric and another it's all about Krusty with one-liners thrown in by Maggie and Santa's Little Helper. They're going back to the right formula in time for one last swan song in Season 25.

28. Partners

I'd go as far as to say that it was cancelled prematurely. It was predictable and I believe it was ahead of it's time. I think it was developed at the wrong time. It wasn't time. A big part of my problem with the show is that it had people who were recognizable and I kept putting them back into the roles in my mind and that's all I could see them as. Bernard the Elf, Daniel Shaw and that guy from Ugly Betty. It was hard to see it as anything other than a B-level acting driven show. And whoever that girl was.

27. The Neighbors

The Neighbors is certainly a unique show, to say the least. It barely got saved for a second season and I'm even surprised it made it halfway through it's first. At first, it was a very god awful program, but I guess you had to get used to the fact that they are aliens so it took a little while before I started to accept it. It's cheesy at times and even though it could be labeled as predictable, I'd say it's not in a way that you can label as positive or negative. The family seems all too accepting so suddenly that their entire community is made up of aliens. And it seems that these aliens act all too human. In that way, it varies from other shows with alien-type formulas. Another surprising aspect was the reveal to the humans that they are aliens in the very early goings of the show. The average television viewer, like myself, would have thought that that would be an underlying story arc. The constant struggle to keep it hidden, but it was very sudden. Despite all the Full House-ness of it all (wouldn't be surprised if Dave Coulier made a cameo), maybe it does deserve another season. A chance to settle in and prove itself. Plus, I'll never not be amused when they say the full names of athletes for the names of aliens. Jackie Joyner-Kerse, Larry Bird, Dick Butkus, Reggie Jackson.

26. The New Normal

I paid attention to most of the episodes, missing only about five or six. This show never really did it for me and it was always typecast, in my mind, as a Modern Family rip-off. There were some feel-good episodes, like the Halloween one, I believe.



I think it would have gotten a second season if it wasn't so complacent with ending. The season/series finale ends with the birth of David and Bryan's child. It begged the question for me, where would they even go from here if they are renewed? The natural answer would be to follow the expedites of David and Bryan as parents with Goldie pitching in. But we'd already seen that all season. We saw the influence of David and Bryan on Shania and the way they were dealing with the unborn child was fatherly in itself. Perhaps it's best that it wasn't renewed because the show might have found itself in a rut that they'd be unable to get out of, unlike their first season.

25. 2 Broke Girls

The show has many different compelling story lines that they can follow. It's neglecting them and settling for one-liners after one-liners. They need a set sight. Whether it be with Max and Caroline's cupcake business or their love lives. There's many different routes they can take, but it's tough to take both because then it becomes a juggling act, like we saw this season. Caroline and Andy seemed like a great match, but so did the cupcakes with the store. In a span of three episodes, the girls suddenly lost both Andy and the store. The juggling balls or pins or whatever fell and hit the floor. They need sure footing. The developing humor of Han, the restaurant owner, was awesome to watch this year, however. He's become my favorite on the show.



24. The Big Bang Theory

I know what you're thinking. "WHAT?! This was easily the best show of the year! It's one of the greatest shows of ALL-TIME!" Both are statements that I strongly disagree with. There's no way this is one of the all-time greats that, according to TV Guide, ranks above The Golden Girls, Happy Days and The Office. Not even CLOSE. I don't know what they were thinking. Look, The Big Bang Theory is funny at times and it has its moments. I don't mind watching it. The thing is, people say it's everything that it's not. It's not one of the greatest shows ever. It's not a "smart" comedy. If anything it's a downplaying, condescending comedy. They use big words and scientific jobs to make it seem like one, but there's nothing humorous that goes unnoticed, the mark of a truly great show. Sheldon has become an arrogant jerk that people love just because he delivers lines considered to be funny. His character is totally inconsistent and Amy Farrah Fowler has done nothing to change it, even though people will tell you she has. Leonard and Penny are supposed to be the core of the show, but their relationship has become boring and not compelling at all. Raj is just downright depressing. But I think I've bashed it enough. Like I said, I enjoy it at times and I don't mind watching it, but it's repetitiveness and manipulation has gotten to me. It's just an average sitcom with fancy words and big ratings. I'm still bashing, I'm sorry. Here's something. Wolowitz has been amazing this year. He's stolen the show.



23. The Mindy Project

At first, I really did not like this show. I was probably still going through Kelly Kapoor-withdrawal. To me, it seemed like an attempt at romantic comedy on television. It was obvious that they were trying to set up Mindy with Danny and the rest of the supporting cast seemed odd and mismatched. But around the time of the introduction of Morgan and the guest appearances of BJ Novak and Ellie Kemper, the show started to resonate with me and I started to understand the appeal. I've always been skeptical about FOX comedies, but The Mindy Project and New Girl have really changed my mind about it. They're likable now. They're not forced. But oh god, I really hope that Mindy Kaling didn't actually cut her hair, it looks weird.


22. Family Guy

I was surprised to hear that Seth MacFarlane wishes that the show had ended already. I think it's still in the midst of its stride that it hit a while back. They've really been able to identify the type of character that Peter is and they've capitalized on it. However, the show is starting to become something that it is not. Yes, in some cases you have to suspend belief. You know what? I don't even know why I'm trying to over-analyze Family Guy. That's just silly.

21. Leverage
20. Parenthood

I do not believe that it was time for Leverage to go, but it's not like they really tried to prove otherwise. They moved the crew from Boston to Seattle, unnecessarily I believe. They used some old stories in a different cities in hopes that it would go unnoticed. I supposed that there is only so much that you can do with this type of show. At least it was able to go out with a remarkably fantastic finale. It was very tricky too. I talk about it in my Leverage post. Also, I believe Hardison had yet to reach his peak.

However, it might have been time for Parenthood to go. I'm worried that they're going to run out of stories and they're going to unrealistically stretch for some filler. If it wasn't for the cliffhangers in the season finale, I do not believe it'd be around. This would have been ranked MUCH lower if it wasn't for that Christmas episode with Kristina in the hospital. Jason Ritter was far underused. Ray Romano possibly overused. Craig T. Nelson was used just right! The story with Amber and the army guy could have had more to it. But that episode with Kristina in the hospital was one of 2013's best out of all of television. It was a good showcase as to what Parenthood is all about. It showed the heart of the show and it showed that they really care. The scene with Nelson and Peter Krause in the hospital. It really cared.



It's at 0:15.

19. Mike & Molly

I think they forgot about the whole Molly pregnancy story. Well, the season finale was pulled so maybe there's still hope, in which case it gets bumped up. But seriously the story line drives the first half of the season and then it's mentioned once in passing in the twenty-second episode or something. There's still hope that it can show that there was a direction and a goal they were aiming for in this third season. If not, then I'm getting really sick of Chuck Lorre and his shows.

18. 1600 Penn
17. Go On

I don't believe that either of these shows should have been cancelled. 1600 Penn had tremendous potential and Go On had already proved itself in that it could be a perennial staple in NBC comedy lineups for years to come. Yet, both got the ax. In the case of 1600 Penn, I can understand it. I understand why NBC cancelled it. The ratings were not high enough. However, the quality of the show cannot be understated. It had yet to find its groove. Sometimes you have to let it get worse before it gets better. I think 1600 Penn was of the caliber where it could get REALLY better. Maybe it was undermined by the less-than-spectacular performances of Xander and Marigold, but D.B, Applegate, Bill Pullman and Josh Gad all were phenomenal. Gad especially. He really stole the show and made Skip a beloved character. In the case of Go On, I do not understand it as much. The ratings weren't awful. They were pretty good by NBC's standards (14 million viewer spread). It had a pretty awesome ensemble cast and a good balance of humor and heart.* Plus, eventually, you are going to lose Matthew Perry. One day he will no longer accept NBC's invitation for a new show. It's gotta be frustrating. Also this:



*The best type of comedies have a balance of 73% humor and 27% heart. The legendary comedies have 51% humor, 30% great characters and 19% heart.

16. Raising Hope

The show is safe for at least one or two years, but hopefully they don't play it too safe. Everything's come into play for the Chances and the show has really started to hit its stride. I just hope it hasn't peaked yet. The creator of the show (same guy who did My Name is Earl and was responsible for the legendary episode in which the entire cast of Earl reunites and does awesome things) stepped down so I can only worry that the new show-runner will ruin the realistic-ness (word?) and pull a Roseanne. Please don't win the lottery.

15. Hawaii Five-O

I'm one the founder and strongest advocate of the 'There's Too Many Cop Shows on Television.' Yes, I count detectives in that category. I try to limit how many that I do watch because it's the same thing over and over yet it draws people in? I went with Hawaii Five-O and a detective show to be named later (it's Psych). Hawaii Five-O works for me because it's not just drama, murder, drama, murder, drama, drama, drama bang bang bang. That doesn't work for me in an hour worth's block. The show is great at throwing in some humor with a dash of culture. You come for the police work and compelling episodes, but you stay for the light jokes, beautiful Hawaiian scenery and Kamekona, the shrimp truck guy. He's a different take on the eccentric not-quite-consultant consultant. Plus, Danno and McGarrett have a killer bromance. One of my only gripes is that it's gotten very cheesy, product-placement-ized, and, at times, uninspired. Don't get me wrong, it's a very quality show, but there's those very cringe-worthy moments that remind you of a cheesy MST3K movie. But when it's very quality, it's the best drama on television. I'm talking about I Ka Wa Mamua, the flashback episode to Danno in New Jersey/New York (9/11).

14. Modern Family

I get the feeling that there's going to be an angry mob outside my window. Two of the most beloved shows/comedies on television don't crack my top ten. Although, the difference in flaws that I've begun to notice in both of them cannot be overstated. Modern Family has gotten repetitive. I can predict what is going to happen and be 100% accurate 99% of the time. We get it. Claire is overbearing, Phil's the fun dad, Alex is smart and Haley's the opposite, but they have a real connection. Luke's insane and Jay's a big teddy bear. Gloria can't pronounce words, Manny's a misguided lady's man. Lily's demonic and Mitchell and Cam are wrong for each other in all of the right ways. We get it. We get it, we get it, we get it. Yet, it's what happens in every episode. Substitute a bouncy house for an RV and you've got an all "new" story for Phil in that episode. Modern Family thrives when its heart is centered around something basic that's got a personal twist. Like the naming of a baby or the classic Halloween sitcom episode. But Modern Family was great this year when the stories were about the characters and the characters were the ones who were able to lead and carry the episode. I really hope the glory days of Modern Family are not behind it.

13. Rules of Engagement

This is a show with a clear identity. It knows what it's about. The show knows its role. The characters know their role. Knowing that they were lucky to even get a season two, never mind a season seven was really beneficial for the show-runners. They knew they'd run out of luck eventually and when it happened, the whole slew of 'em was prepared. They were able to usher Liz out about halfway through to the end and then embrace the interaction between the core six. The cast and characters had gotten so comfortable with each other and the chemistry was so strong that it was just a pleasure to watch. Humor was abound and the final episode knew it was the end so it ended it fittingly with the relationships of Jeff and Audrey, Jen and Adam and Russell and Timmy. Farewell, you wonderful CBS filler.

Perfect example of what the show was all about:



12. How I Met Your Mother

This was right up there with the best of them. Definitely top-five material. But the close to their season eight was quite anti-climactic, slow and really-I-thought-we-were-past-this? The season was going so well with such great momentum for a comedy in its eighth season. Especially this, that I've listened to on repeat a-many times:



But then as the season was coming to a close, and everyone was expecting a Barney-Robin wedding, nothing occurred. The humor was drained. Barney and Robin finished with some odd couple that they met in a restaurant, not a wedding. A trying story was suddenly, out-of-the-blue sprung on Marshall and Lily and Ted was holding hands with Robin in the rain? Oh my god, we've been there and we've done that can we move on from those two? Suddenly, the long-awaited reveal of the mother came with little fanfare and it just seemed like eight years of build-up led to that? It just wasn't what I expected. Their final season better go well. Otherwise, this:



11. 30 Rock

What a great, fitting, final season and series finale for this show. It was everything that the show was about yet, for the die-hard fans, I bet it tug at their heartstrings with Jenna's Rural Juror song. Tina Fey played a key role in the direction of the show. Kristen Schaal was given the boot and Fey made sure that Liz Lemon got married before the finale so it wouldn't be focused on just that. The one-hour sendoff was nostalgic and great with wrapping up the stories of the characters. It was never a show with emotion that we could relate to so that's why it worked for the show, but it was able to dabble in the nostalgia felt by other greats and bring about a fitting end for the show. These were the best days of our flerm.

10. Billy on the Street



'Nuff said.

9. The Middle
8. Happy Endings

The Middle was nominated for a Critics' Choice Television Award for Best Comedy and rightfully so. One of the great things that The Middle does year in and year out is their first day of school episodes. It's not the same formula, but it's the same idea, if that makes any sense. It's always about them going back to school, but with new challenges and grades and schools and teacher guest stars, there's always a new feeling about it that really just makes you settle in perfectly for the year ahead. This year, we saw the heart in Axl and the confusion of Frankie. The interaction between the five family members has been boiled down to a science for each episode, but yet, there's always something different to expect. For that, it deserves magnificent praise. Especially since it's ABC's best comedy.

Let me explain. Yes, The Middle and Happy Endings are both on ABC. But, The Middle is ABC's best comedy because Happy Endings was cancelled. I know, right?! Why? It certainly didn't deserve it. Well, the ratings were never really strong, even at the height of its popularity last year when it suddenly broke through. Then maybe everything became complacent and we figured that it's a modern, youthful, fresh comedy with extremely zany humor and it'd always be around. Unfortunately, we were wrong. Fortunately, TBS is looking more and more like they'll save the day. The gem of the season was Kickball 2: The Kickening, the legendary, my favorite episode, kickball episode. What's lost underneath all of the wackiness is the troubled love life of Penny, the fear of maturing in Dave and Alex, the loneliness in Max, and the is-this-enough? in Brad and Jane. That's what each episode was about, but it was so very hard to catch because of every crazy antic that they pulled off. And it worked. Until it was cancelled, but what can you do?

7. Bob's Burgers

Bob's Burgers has quickly become the best animated show on television today. Surpassing both Family Guy and The Simpsons in a matter of a few years. It's because it could work as a live-action show. Granted, that'd be BEYOND creepy, but it really could work. The plots and the characters and all that jazz, but it works best as an animated show for god knows why. Basically, to sum up the analysis of the show, there's three GREAT episodes that aired from it this past year. Full Bars, the fantastic Halloween episode, My Fuzzy Valentine, a romp through the city for Bob to save Linda's holiday, and O.T.: The Outside Toilet, inspired by E.T. in which Gene delivers what could be the line of the TV year. "Fly toilet fly!"



6. The Amazing Race

After a few years removed from the perennial top reality show on television, I returned, if only briefly, in the fall. But then, I returned again. This time for the entire second season of the year that stretched from winter to spring. It's so far and away better than all of the other "watch-worthy" reality shows on television (Here Comes Honey Boo Boo, Keeping Up With the Kardashians). And it's streets ahead of the other reality competition reality shows (American Idol, Dancing With the Stars). Twenty-three seasons in, the show is compelling as ever. It still holds up because I LOVE airports. Okay, that's just what drove me back, but I stayed for the tour of the world and the need to root for some (Bates and Anthony) and root against others (Max and Katie). You get into the people and you want to see how they can conquer each challenge because it's always unique and interestingly fun. It resonates well. I look forward to watching it again in September.


The top five is set to come at a later date. I need to arrange my top of the list properly. I have to end this right.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, great list and great thoughts and commentary on them all. I agree with a lot of this. And I hope Happy Endings (and maybe Go On?) can be revived by TBS!

    ReplyDelete