Enjoy this blog because what you read is of legendary status.

Wednesday, March 12, 2014

A Couple of Books I Read

This book, lent to me by my English teacher, is really quite clever, quick, and smart. Haven Kimmel's memoir from her life in small-town Indiana is a very enjoyable read. There is a bit of darkness in it, a cloud in her life, but some of the moments she talks about are austere, unique, and hopeful. An instant favorite.

Before I even opened the front cover, I knew I would enjoy Mindy Kaling's collection of expository-memoir hybrid stories. She holds nothing back and is completely honest with, not just the reader, but herself. The most enjoyable part of the book was joining her on her long and complicated road to accomplishing her dream. The methods she used are all her own.

I did not know what I would think of Bill Bryson's A Walk in the Woods, but my English teacher had not steered me wrong with book suggestions yet. The concept of it was great. Instead of a memoir chronicling the author's life, it took just one specific area of Bryson's life. His journey on the Appalachian Trail was quite interesting and I loved the way he created real people he had met into characters.

Jimmy Fallon's children book was a much easier read than some of the aforementioned books on the list. Less than twenty pages with less than twenty words on each, his fictionalized tale of a snow day was charming and why aren't more kids reading it?

As soon as I started reading Demetri Martin's writings I was laughing boisterously aloud. It is not your average book, as Martin uses many different techniques to convey his dry sense of humor. Drawings, crossword puzzles, and palindromes are just a few of the many methods. Most of the stories are fiction, I hope, but all of them are delightful.

Books are the best.

1 comment: