Enjoy this blog because what you read is of legendary status.

Thursday, December 26, 2013

Me Talk Pretty One Day

My English teacher recently lent me her copy of David Sedaris' famed memoir, Me Talk Pretty One Day. I read it in a flash, enjoying his stories and experiences told through his humor-colored glasses. You can imagine my surprise when I saw it on Buzzfeed's list of modern influential novels. Could a comedic memoir really be influential? I immediately went back and re-read some of my favorite essays, Picket Pockatoni, Go Carolina, The Youth in Asia, The Learning Curve, and The City of Light in the Dark. Truth is, his views on everyday life are pretty astute. I promptly searched The New Yorker for some more of his essays and was delighted to discover they were plentiful. My surprise was further perpetuated when I learned that this book is actually taught in some schools. That's amazing! A very quality, great read.

1 comment: