Enjoy this blog because what you read is of legendary status.

Sunday, June 16, 2013

Call Andy and Kelly? Indian Kelly?



Remember this scene from The Office when the Dunder Mifflin gang is creating a song for the ad that will be made of their company? We all know the lyrics:

Out of paper, out of stock.
Those friendly faces around the block.
Break loose from the chains,
That are causing your pains.
Call Michael and Stanley,
Jim, Dwight, Creed.
Call Andy and Kelly
For your business paper needs.
Dunder Mifflin.
The people person's paper people.
Dunder Mifflin.
The people person's paper people.
Dunder Mifflin.
The people person's paper people.

Those are the lyrics, right? Not so fast. Scripting and quoting has always said that it goes:

Jim, Dwight, Creed.
Call Indian Kelly
For your business paper needs.

However, Netflix captioning and intuition of The Office would lead you to believe that it goes, Indian Kelly. Andy and and Indian sound somewhat similar, I would say. I've never been 100% certain as to what it is, but it's probably one of the biggest debates within the realms of The Office. I would say Andy and Kelly because Andy would definitely want his name in the song.

Anyway, I was re-watching the episode, 'Livin' the Dream.' In that episode, there is a scene where David Wallace comes in and asks Erin if...well, here's the dialogue:

David Wallace: "Hey Erin, is Andy in?"
Erin Hannon: "...Oh! Is Andy in?! I thought you said, 'is Indian?' And I thought, 'is Indian what? Is Indian food good?"

I thought that the scene was odd because Erin stalls and she doesn't know if Andy is in or not because his acting schedule is crazy and then when she sees him she tells David Wallace that he is in and she knows that because she's a good receptionist. It had nothing to do with the story and I just accepted it and moved on.

Now, I may be thinking too much into this, which I probably am, but could this have been the work of the brilliant writing staff of The Office telling us that Andy and Kelly is correct and it is not Indian Kelly. David Wallace says Andy in? Not Indian. That means Indian is false if this is in fact a nod to the season four episode, Local Ad. Again, I'm reading too much into this, but I hope (and bet) that I'm not.

1 comment:

  1. I can see them doing that as a way to correct the original problem. Good eye... Er, ear!

    ReplyDelete