Enjoy this blog because what you read is of legendary status.

Thursday, June 6, 2013

New Popeye Film

The 1980 live action musical had mixed reviews, but I hope that this one gets the opposite of mixed. I hope it is labeled as great. However, with flops such as The Smurfs and Yogi Bear, I am nervous. I think this could go well. It really could go either way. It can either be the next Muppets or Yogi Bear in that it's a beloved television show from back in the day that's remade in a modern film. However, what I've heard about it so far sounds promising:


  • Sony Animation is producing this as a 3D computer-animated film. Okay, I could do without both of those. Why can't it just be good old fashioned 2D drawings like 2011's Winnie the Pooh?
  • Jay Scherick and David Ronn will write Popeye as they wrote The Smurfs. The Smurfs script was promising, but didn't live up to its potential.
  • Release date: September 26, 2014.
  • Directed by Genndy Tarakovsky. He said it will be "as artful and unrealistic as possible." Unrealistic. That's what Popeye's all about and that's all I can ask for!

1 comment:

  1. I don't know. They should go back to the original Popeye shorts and see the wackiness that made them special!

    ReplyDelete