Enjoy this blog because what you read is of legendary status.

Thursday, March 19, 2015

100 Favorite Movies: 2

Wow. I can't believe after almost a hundred (ninety-nine now) movies, we have made it to the top two. The next time I post about this, I will be revealing my all-time favorite movie. But for now, let us celebrate the second greatest ever made. I could watch Ferris Bueller's Day Off eighty times in three days and never tire of it. The classic John Hughes comedy has etched its way into the zeitgeist and has been deemed "culturally, historically, and aesthetically significant" by the National Film Registry. It is the quintessential John Hughes movie just as The Avengers is the quintessential superhero movie and Toy Story 3 is the quintessential Pixar film. Ferris' interaction with the audience is a special technique utilized to perfection. The exposition might also just be the best exposition ever used in a movie. The characters are so profoundly deep that it is impossible not to root for them against the machine! Rebel against adulthood and that horrid death of innocence! Plus, Ferris Bueller's Day Off contains four scenes that are among the greatest ever made. Number four: Abe Froman, Sausage King of Chicago. Number three: Ferris running home. Number two: Ferris singing Danke Schoen and Twist and Shout. Number one: the purely innocent and beautiful sequence in the art museum. Timeless and incredible. I adore the pure beauty in it, even though I'm basically repeating myself. I don't mean to come across as snooty. Snooty? Snotty. Snotty? Gold. Save Ferris.

Comedy directed by John Hughes and written by John Hughes in 1986.

Starring: Matthew Broderick, Alan Ruck, Mia Sara, Jeffrey Jones, Jennifer Grey, Lyman Ward, Cindy Pickett, Charlie Sheen, and Ben Stein.

Tune in Monday for number one! (Ah!)

1 comment:

  1. Good choice, again. Have seen this one countless times and I am sure I will see it many more again. Now I am curious what film will make it for your #1!

    ReplyDelete