Enjoy this blog because what you read is of legendary status.

Wednesday, December 31, 2014

2014's Fifteen Best Television Shows

I am a huge fan of television so I take this list very seriously. (And yes, I know there are multiple comedies on here.) N'yuk, n'yuk, n'yuk.

15. Inside Amy Schumer - This geniusly innovative program showcases Schumer as a fearless comedic pioneer.

14. Portlandia - The brainchild of Fred Armisen and Carrie Brownstein is the best sketch show on cable television.

13. The Colbert Report - Quite possibly the greatest satirical comedy show in the history of the television. Also, quite sad that it's now over.

12. Mad Men - I hope and hope for a suitable ending to the world of Don Draper. I guess we'll see where it places on the 2015 list.

11. Late Night with Seth Meyers - It has really been an amazing start for Seth Meyers on his new talk show. It's surprisingly consistently funny for a daily talk show.

10. Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssey - This is the type of reality television more people should be watching. Neil deGrasse Tyson over Kim Kardashian any day.

9. Community - I hate putting it in the ninth slot because it makes it seem low, but it was such a good year for television (and Community) that I consider this high praise.

8. Saturday Night Live - My bias may become exceptionally apparent here, but two flawless episodes led by former cast members Andy Samberg and Bill Hader were enough to catapult SNL into the top ten.

7. Parks and Recreation - Why must this great, innovative, and consistently fresh show come to an end in February?

6. Brooklyn Nine-Nine - This show started fast and has remained one of the best comedies on television about a third of the way through its second season.

5. BoJack Horseman - The animated original from Netflix that started slow and ended all too fast. The jokes can be raunchy at times, but the characters are just...so broken and so amazing. I came for Will Arnett and Aaron Paul and I stayed for the emotions.

4. Nathan for You - I cannot get over how amazing (and how dry) this underrated gem from Comedy Central is.

3. The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon - Jimmy Fallon has not only revitalized the late night landscape, he's reinvented television and made a cultural institution all his own.

2. Wilfred - The bizarre cult comedy about a man who can talk to his dog ended in August of 2014. Along the way, it went from a show with consistent laughter to dark mysteries, but both were compelling.

1. The Mindy Project - Mindy Kaling can do no wrong.

1 comment:

  1. The ones I have seen out of these I can agree with. Some I haven't seen. Some I just couldn't get into. (Looking at you, BoJack Horseman).

    ReplyDelete