Enjoy this blog because what you read is of legendary status.

Friday, March 13, 2015

31 Day SNL Challenge: Favorite Character from the 1990s

I know I've gushed a lot about Celebrity Jeopardy throughout this 31 Day Challenge so far, but it's so worthy of the gushing. It's the best recurring sketch SNL has ever had. So when I came to the topic of favorite character from the 1990s, I had a tough time. How could I possibly pick between Darrell Hammond's Sean Connery or Norm Macdonald's Burt Reynolds/Turd Ferguson? Or, hell, even Ben Stiller's Tom Cruise? But then it dawned on me. Connery does not appear in every Celebrity Jeopardy. Reynolds does not. Cruise does not. One man does. Will Ferrell's impeccable Alex Trebek. I realized he is not only the glue that holds this sketch together, but he is the best character in it. There's no doubt. From his complete disbelief, his ability to control Connery at his worst, and (as Norm once described) his "undying hope," there is no other option for the nineties than Trebek. And you know what? You don't have to suck it, Trebek. Not today.

1 comment:

  1. Interesting that this character is based on a real person. Great choice, however.

    ReplyDelete